With Christmas seemingly always around the corner and birthdays popping up all over the calendar, there’s no shortage of occasions that offer you the opportunity to give a gift to a child in your life. Whether it’s your own child or grandchild, niece or nephew, a friend’s kid, or maybe you want to donate a present to a child in need, shopping for youngsters can be a painstaking process. Children of different ages at different developmental stages will appreciate (and benefit from) different types of toys, but there are helpful websites out there, such as toyreviewexperts.com, that can ease the burden of picking out a present.
If you were blessed to welcome a brand-new life into the world this year, congratulations are in order. Now it’s time to choose the perfect gift for your beautiful little baby, one that will hopefully keep him or her amused while encouraging the developmental process at the same time. The first year of your child’s life is one of the most important, and any gift you give them during this time must reflect that. Fortunately, there are some tried and true traditional childhood toys to choose from, many of which you may recall from your own formative years.
- Activity Center. Your baby will enjoy countless hours of fun and exploration with an activity center designed to delight and develop their senses with a variety of sights, sounds, and textures. In addition to mental stimulation, it will help to enhance their fine motor skills and promote physical activity. Some models even have a built-in walker to maximize your baby’s exercise. Safety is of the utmost importance, so make sure to choose one that is sturdy and durable.
- Jumper. A classic childhood staple, the jumper allows your baby to bounce up and down, shrieking and giggling with pure joy as he or she experiences a new and thrilling sensation. Traditional jumpers are designed to be set up in a doorway, but there are also freestanding jumpers that are supported by their own frame. You may find you can get more work done around the house while your baby is occupied for hours on end, jumping for joy, but always make sure that you keep an eye on your precious little one.
- Books. It’s never too early to start reading to your baby, so books make an excellent present for any infant. A book is a gift that truly keeps on giving, as your child is more likely to grow up with superior reading and comprehension skills if you make a habit out of reading to them from the time they are infants. Plus, the sound of your voice provides a soothing backdrop as they drift off into dreamland.
- Plush Toys. Generally speaking, you can’t go wrong with anything soft and cuddly when choosing a baby gift. Lacking any sharp edges or hard pieces, plush toys make ideal companions for your baby’s first year and will often last several years, if not longer, when properly cared for. They are available in a variety of shapes and sizes, and help to stimulate tactile development. Not to mention, they’re pretty darn cute.
- Blocks. What playroom would be complete without a colorful set of blocks? Traditionally square in shape and made of wood, blocks now come in a number of different textures and styles to enhance your baby’s developmental process and keep them safe. Some blocks float in the water, providing extra fun during bath time. They are usually decorated with letters and numbers, so as your child gets older, the blocks can help to teach them how to spell and count.
Infants are often the most difficult to buy a gift for because they can change so quickly, and their tiny hands may not be able to grasp certain toys. However, with the right toys and accessories, the baby in your life can meet the challenges ahead and continue to develop into a healthy, well-rounded child.